Years Running: 18
- PLU XC Invite, 8k, Tacoma, WA, USA, 15 September 2018
- Emerald City Open, 8k, Lower Woodland Park, Seattle, WA, USA, 6 October 2018
- WWU Cross Country Classic, 10k, Sudden Valley Golf Course, Bellingham, WA, USA, 20 October 2018
- PNTF Champs, 10k, Lower Woodland Park, Seattle, WA, USA, 11 November 2018
- USATF NW Regionals, 10k, Magnuson Park, Seattle, WA, USA, 24 November 2018
- 2018 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships, 10k, Plantes Ferry Sports Complex, Spokane, WA, 8 December 2018
- Tukwila to Alki Half Marathon, 21.1k, Tukwila and Seattle, WA, USA, 26 January 2019
- Blooms to Brews ***FULL MAR’Y BAY-BEE***, 42.2k, Woodland, WA, USA 28 April 2019
- Overall health goal: Miss zero planned running days due to injury in 2018.
- Performance specific: Half marathon under 80 minutes (<3’47″/km). Full ‘thon under 2h55’ (<4’09″/k), <10’30” 3000m steeplechase.
- Big Hairy Audacious Goals: sub 60′ at the Broad Street Run (10 miler). Sub 57′ 15k (3’45″/k). Sub 17′ 5k road race (on a ~flat course). sub 2:55 1000m on the track. Sub 4:55 1600m/mile on the track.
- Compete as a member of the 2018 SRC cross country team and improve on 2017’s results.
- Challenge the Franklin HS twerps who keep targeting my Str^v^ segments!
Long Term Goals:
- Life-long running happiness.
- Continue to build my running community — lead workouts, host events, and affect the running culture wherever I live.
- Complete a sub-3 hour marathon.
- Ran 3000km in 2017!
- Top of the list has to be to PR at Broad Street (Philadelphia’s signature 10miler) one year post-brain cancer treatments. ????
- Maximizing my running when I’m healthy.
- Other accomplishments include coming back from injuries multiple times to regain fitness and restart a training regimen.
- Podium/near podium finishes at local races: see “Best Races” below.
Favorite Part About Being a Runner:
Endorphins and the runner’s high! My absolute favorite part about being a runner is the range of emotions I can feel while in the middle of a long, steady run. Long distance trail and road running provides me a space to reflect on my past and help me navigate my future. Getting to the point on my run where it becomes meditative is a truly beautiful feeling. My mind is able to wander and I feel alive. Running gives me purpose. I can turn to running to explore my physical limits. I can use running as a way to satisfy my need for competition. But the best part is the runner’s high. It is no myth! Also, having an excuse to wear split shorts! ????????
Podium/near podium finishes at local races:
- 1st overall, at Tukwila to Alki Half Marathon, Jan 2018.
- 3rd overall, 2nd male at NW Trail Runs’ Redmond Watershed Summer Blast Half Marathon, Aug 2017.
- 3rd overall, 3rd male at Magnuson Series: Spring into Action 15k, March 2017.
- 4th overall, 3rd male at NW Trail Runs’ Cedar Mountain Trail Run, March 2017.
- 1st overall 12th Annual SJ Lupus Foundation 5k, 2006.
Other notable races:
- 36 out of 594, and 1st American ( 1 out of 1) and a PR at 5 miles (30’12”) at The Joe Hourigan Memorial, Midleton 5 mile road race, May 2018
- 45 out of 1,383 overall. P.R. by 2’27” (1h24’49”) at Lake Sammamish Half Marathon, March 2018
Running Words of Wisdom:
- “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.” I think this is attributed to Steve Prefontaine.
- “If you continue to set PRs you will eventually have the world record.” – Alan Webb.
- “Always make sure to hold enough in reserves to put in a *DEVASTATING* kick at the end!” – A. Roche.
- And anything from Jamin or Island on the LetsRun.com.message board.
Social Media Links: