Years Running: 17
- Lake Sammamish Half Marathon, 10 March 2018
- Magnuson Series: Spring into Action 15k, 24 March 2018
- Magnuson Series: Earth Day Run, distance TBD, 21 April 2018
- Magnuson Series: Memorial Day Run, distance TBD, 26 May 2018
- Overall health goal: Miss zero planned running days due to injury in 2018.
- Performance specific: Run a half marathon under 84 minutes (<4’/km).
- Big Hairy Audacious Goals: sub 60′ at the Broad Street Run (10 miler). Sub 57′ 15k (3’45″/k). Sub 17′ 5k road race (on a ~flat course). sub 2:55 1000m on the track. Sub 4:55 1600m/mile on the track.
- Compete as a member of the 2018 SRC cross country team and improve on this year’s results.
- Destroy Joe Creighton’s CR on the Flying Lion Brewery 5 mile Strava segment.
- Lastly, achieve ultimate LRC status: Sub 15:00 5k, Earn $250k/yr. Date a 10/10. 😜
Long Term Goals:
- Life-long running happiness.
- Continue to build my running community — lead workouts, host events, and affect the running culture wherever I live.
- Complete a sub-3 hour marathon.
- Ran 3000km in 2017!
- Top of the list has to be to PR at Broad Street (Philadelphia’s signature 10miler) one year post-brain cancer treatments. 🙌
- Maximizing my running when I’m healthy.
- Other accomplishments include coming back from injuries multiple times to regain fitness and restart a training regimen.
- Podium/near podium finishes at local races: see “Best Races” below.
Favorite Part About Being a Runner:
Endorphins and the runner’s high! My absolute favorite part about being a runner is the range of emotions I can feel while in the middle of a long, steady run. Long distance trail and road running provides me a space to reflect on my past and help me navigate my future. Getting to the point on my run where it becomes meditative is a truly beautiful feeling. My mind is able to wander and I feel alive. Running gives me purpose. I can turn to running to explore my physical limits. I can use running as a way to satisfy my need for competition. But the best part is the runner’s high. It is no myth! Also, having an excuse to wear split shorts! 🕺💃
Podium/near podium finishes at local races:
- 1st overall, at Tukwila to Alki Half Marathon, Jan 2018.
- 3rd overall, 2nd male at NW Trail Runs’ Redmond Watershed Summer Blast Half Marathon, Aug 2017.
- 3rd overall, 3rd male at Magnuson Series: Spring into Action 15k, March 2017.
- 4th overall, 3rd male at NW Trail Runs’ Cedar Mountain Trail Run, March 2017.
- 4th overall, 4th male at Tukwila to Alki Half Marathon, Jan 2015.
- 4th overall, 4th male at Bridle Trails Party in the Park 10k, June 2015.
- 1st overall 12th Annual SJ Lupus Foundation 5k, 2006.
Running Words of Wisdom:
- “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.” I think this is attributed to Steve Prefontaine.
- “If you continue to set PRs you will eventually have the world record.” – Alan Webb.
- “Always make sure to hold enough in reserves to put in a *DEVASTATING* kick at the end!” – A. Roche.
- And anything from Jamin or Island on the LetsRun.com.message board.
Social Media Links: