Start Time: 7:30am
Avg Temps (f): 46/64
Time Limit: 6.5 hours
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- If traveling there, no need to rent a car since public transportation is great and it’s fairly easy to find a hotel near the start/finish, or along public transportation lines
- Sharp turns in the early miles, so be prepared, especially with lots of runners around you.
- Wave starts with corrals, and in waves, so it helps spread out the field (35,000+ runners)
- Feels chillier downtown near the start because of tall buildings
- Weather can be all over the place, so be prepared for hot or cold, or rainy, windy…
- Not many hills, but several bridges with steel grates, which are usually covered with carpet. Still makes for different footing from regular roads.
- GPS might not work well in early miles among tall downtown buildings
Type: Loop course all over the city, starting and finishing in Grant Park.
Start/Finish Info: Only runners allowed in start/finish area. Corrals closed 10 minutes before start, so get there with plenty of time.
Hills: Minimal, very flat, fast course. Biggest hill is ~25 feet of gain from mile 22-23
Map/Elevation: Link to Map
Locations of water stations: 20 aid stations 1-2 miles apart, with both water and Lemon-LIme Gatorade Endurance Formula
Locations of electrolyte stations: Gatorade Endurance Carb Energy Chews at mile 12.5 and Gatorade Endurance Energy Gels at mile 17.8. Bananas at miles 20-23.5.
Access Locations: See the Spectator Guide
Yes, and part of the World Marathon Majors