Estrella Mountain Regional Park
|Avg Temps f.
|Gain/Loss in ft
Summary: The Coldwater Rumble is the fifth race in the Aravaipa Running – Desert Runner Trail Series, and features 6 races going on at the same time, from 4 miles to 100 miles. Taking place in the Estrella Mountain Regional Park, the race course features a wide variety of typical desert trail running surfaces including crushed granite single track, rocks, boulders, sandy washes, old jeep roads, and dry wash beds. Be prepared for a wide variety of conditions from very well defined trails, to more remote and sandy. See Course Photos for more details. The 52k course is a loop course, where the first loop is a 20 mile loop run clockwise, then runners go counter-clockwise on their next loop, which is a 12 mile loop within the original 20 mile loop.
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- Aid stations are Cupless
- The park charges a $6 park entry fee per vehicle.
- Because there are multiple races going on at the same time, know what color of sign to follow for your given race distance at trail turns and junctions
- Be sure to check out the course photos – as the course is far from smooth, non-technical terrain, and includes loose rocks and deep sand
- While it’s not a lot of elevation gain, the course is constantly going up and down
- A very sandy section around miles 9-11.5
- Nice descent heading into mile 20, the start/finish, but that means you have to go back up to start the 12 mile loop
- Because the course if fully exposed, it gets hot during the day, even though it’s January. Being Arizona, it’s still dry and hot
- Be aware of sunset and if you need to have a headlamp in a drop bag along the way, or at mile 20 where crew and the start/finish is
- Final miles feel like they go on forever, especially because it’s such rolling terrain
Total gain/loss: 2067/2067
Total climbs: 5 climbs of 200-400 ft each, countless 50-100 feet gains during more major climbs and interspersed throughout.
Longest climb: ~400 feet from miles 2.5-9, with some rollers in between
Steepest climb: Several 150-200 feet climbs within ~.5 miles throughout
Total aid stations: 6 + Start/Finish
Furthest distance apart: 7.9 miles
Locations: Miles 0, 3.4, 11.3, 15.5, 20, 24.5, 29.1, 32.5 (Finish)
What’s available: Typical aid station fare, including water, electrolyte drink, sweet snacks, salty snacks, and fruit.
Access Locations: Miles 0, 20, 32.5
Crew instructions/directions: At Start/Finish, aka “Rumble Headquarters”
2 UTMB Points
Strava activities and GPX files
*Note on GPX & KML files: Right click and select “Save link as…” to download files.