Summary: The Gorge Waterfalls 100k, put on by Daybreak Racing, is an out and back course along the Columbia River Gorge, passing waterfalls along the way over varying terrain including rocky trails, smooth single track and some pavement. Two sizable climbs, several intermediate climbs and lots of rolling ups and downs. Due to the Eagle Creek Fire in 2017, this race was postponed for years, with 2022 being the first year back under new race management, Daybreak Racing, and with a new start/finish area along the banks of the Columbia River at Marine Park in Cascade Locks
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- Save something for the second half – lots of people go out too fast and have a really slow slog back to the finish line
- The course is continuously rolling and therefore exhausting over time
- Lots of rocky sections, so tough on the ankles, and lots of moss covered rocky sections, so quite slippery
- Some rocky sections, some smooth, some paved, and generally rolling to hilly elevation changes
- Weather is very volatile so there’s almost no telling what kind of weather you’ll get
- Knowing you’ll likely be slow on the way back, aid stations feel like they get further and further away. 9 miles is a long time if you’re going slow, so keep that in mind with regards to what you carry between each one.
- Since so much has changed since the original course with Rainshadow Running, be sure to do your homework on the new course!
Gorge Waterfalls 100k Elevation
Total gain/loss: 11,000/11,000
1x 1500’ climbs
3x 400-1000′ climbs
Lots of rolling ups and downs of 100-200 feet
Total aid stations: 7
Furthest distance apart: 9 miles
No Name – mile 6 & 56
Yeon – mile 13 & 49
Cascade Locks – mile 22 & 40
Wyeth – mile 31, the turn-around and halfway point
What’s available: All fully stocked (with the exception of No Name the first time through at mile 6 which will be water and electrolyte only) with water, electrolyte drink, gels, fresh fruit, peanut butter and jelly wraps, chips, candy, and first aid supplies.
Western States – Golden Ticket Race, must complete the race in the time limit of 17 hours
Strava activities and GPX files
Need help training for an ultra? Check out our awesome coaches.