Chain O’Lakes State Park in Albion, Indiana
|Avg Temps f.
|Gain/Loss in ft
Summary: The course is a 20 mile loop (approximately 1200 ft/mile of gain per loop), with a mixture of wide and narrow trails, from rolling hills, dirt, and off-camber grass sections, and very little road running. The terrain and woods provides protection from the wind, and while past years have seen rain, the race is in October this year instead of April, so the weather may prove to be quite different. Race distances include 100 mile, 100k, and 50 mile options.
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- As with most courses, if it rains, expect slick, muddy terrain, especially being a loop course where runners are going over the terrain multiple times
- Be sure to have a change of clothes for the nighttime loops, especially if it’s been raining, as temps will drop
- Again, if it’s wet, have changes of shoes and socks and be prepared to fix blisters or the other problems that arise from very wet feet
- Loop courses have their own special mental tactics – be ready with a plan for mentally getting through 5 laps
- If it rains, be ready for wading through water, as deep as thigh deep!
- Be ready with a plan for what you need heading into the start/finish aid station if your crew and/or drop bag is there. That way you have something to think about while running, and you don’t waste too much time at the aid station, and you (hopefully) don’t forget something, like leaving without a headlamp on a loop where it will get dark.
Ft/mile gain: 60
Total climbs: Rolling course featuring climbs of 20-80 feet throughout
Total aid stations: 5 per loop
Furthest distance apart: 5.3 miles
Locations: Miles 3, 7.7, 12.1, 17.4, finish line
What’s available: Typical aid station fare, an assortment of hot and cold food, as well as water, electrolyte drinks, and carbonated beverages, along with some gels. Bring your own specialty food if you need it.
Access Locations: Start/finish, miles 3 and 12.1 of each loop.
South Park – mile 3 crew accessible
Schoolhouse (hilltop) – mile 7.7 not crew accessible
Rally – mile 12.1 crew accessible
Schoolhouse – mile 17.4 not crew accessible
Main Tent – mile 20 crew accessible
Allowed for both 100m and 100k after 40 miles.
Race qualifiers (100m)
5 UTMB points
Part of the Midwest Super Slam
Strava activities and GPX files