|Avg Temps f.
|Gain/Loss in ft
1485 ft/3.8 miles
Summary: Starting on the beach just south of Waldport, Oregon, runners head to the seaside town of Yachats and past it to Cape Perpetua Park. After running a big loop at Cape Perpetua, runners head back to an ocean-side finish in Yachats. Most of the miles are on singletrack and the 50K distance starts with a 6 mile stretch of sandy, but firm beach running, then a small amount pavement and some packed gravel trail.
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- Cupless race
- 50k has to bus to start, no crew/spectator access at start
- Many runners like to put dry shoes, socks and a towel in the Yachats drop bag so that way they don’t have to run in the same wet, sandy shoes/socks as the ran in on the beach.
- Your shoes will get wet on the beach
- Weather is unpredictable and makes the beach running all the harder, especially with wind and humidity
- Beginning of the descents tend to have rocky, slippery footing
- Easy to go out too hard on the beginning flat beach miles (50k)
- Watch for potholes in the lawn around Adobe at the start (30k)
- Inclines are a mix of runnable and steep, walking type, so be ready to mix between running and power hiking
Total gain/loss: 50k: 4500 / 30k: 3800
50k: 3 big ones (2x~900 feet, 1×1485 feet) miles 8.5-11, 15-18.8, and 23.7-26.2
30k: 3 big ones (2x~900 feet, 1×1050 feet) miles 2.4-4.9, 8.4-11.5, and 13.7-16.2
50k: 1485 feet from miles 15-18.8
30k: 1050 feet from 8.5-11.5
50k: 800 feet from miles 9.9-11.1
30k: 800 feet from miles 3.5-4.9
Total aid stations:
Furthest distance apart: 7 miles
50K: 7,14, 19.5 (no crew access, no drop bags), 24
What’s available: Water, potato chips, PB&J, fresh fruit (oranges, bananas, grapes), chocolate/candy, GU gels and GU Brew, tortillas with Trail Butter. Soda such as Coke and Ginger Ale.
50k: mile 7, start/finish
50k: 3 UTMB points
30k: 2 UTMB points
Strava activities and GPX files