|Avg Temps f.
|Gain/Loss in ft
Summary: Rio Del Lago 100 starts and finishes at Beal’s Point, at Folsom Lake State Recreation Area in the Sierra-Nevada Foothills. It consists of 2 lollipops that both have out and back sections but loops at the “end” of each out and back, and it runs on much of the same course as the American River 50 and the Way Too Cool 50k. The course features a variety of terrain, from single track trail, to fire roads, to paved bike path.
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- Daylight Savings Time occurs during the race but the race will observe the time from Saturday and will not change the time
- No trekking poles
- With the first 19 miles being on a paved bike path, it’s easy to go out too fast and burn out your legs
- Elevation gain seems tame but it’s scrunched in the middle ~37 miles, so actually quite challenging
- A lot of people ended up running into the cutoffs throughout the night and were surprised by how much slower they moved at night, especially on the challenging ascents.
- Have crew ready to be there much earlier than expected in those early miles because they tend to be fast
- Heats up quickly during the day
- Many people didn’t take the elevation gain seriously because it’s so tame for a 100, but it’s really 13.5k of gain in 37 miles, which is quite challenging, and much of those miles are heading into the night and throughout.
Total gain/loss: 13,500/13,500
Total climbs: 3 climbs 800-900ft, 2x 300 ft, several smaller ones of ~100ft
800ft from mile ~40-43.5, 900 ft from ~52.5 to 57.5, 800ft from 69-73
Longest climb: 900 ft from ~52.5 to 57.5
Steepest climb: ~350ft from ~66-67
Elevation profile: Strava link for elevation
Total aid stations: 17 plus Start/Finish, which is at Beals Point
Furthest distance apart: 10.3 miles
Locations: Miles 0, 6.5, 14, 18.7, 23.8, 32.5, 35.3, 41.3, 44.4, 48.4, 58.7, 67.3, 70.6, 74.6, 77.7, 83.7, 86.5, 95.1, 100.3. Bold indicates crew access (which includes start/finish)
What’s available: Roctane Engery Gel and Roctane Energy Drink, Clif Bars, Water, Coke/Pepsi, 7-Up, Ginger Ale, boiled potatoes and the normal lineup of ultra sweet and salty foods. Night time aid stations will have hot soup, hot chocolate, quesadillas and grilled cheese.
Access Locations: Miles 0, 18.7, 23.8, 35.3, 44.4, 74.6, 83.7, 100.3 (Includes start/finish)
Yes, pacers can join a runner at the Overlook on the outbound (mile 44.52), No Hands Bridge on the outbound (mile 48.52) and the inbound/return (mile 70.72), the Overlook on the inbound/return (mile 74.72) and also at Rattlesnake Bar (mile 83.78).
Yes, Western States