Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Start Time: 7:00am
Avg Temps (f): 68/48
Time Limit: 4 hours
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- While it’s a scenic course when running through downtown SLO early on, the hills on the country roads make it quite challenging
- Temps tend to warm up quickly and the race starts fairly early to help accommodate for that (years past saw later start times)
- With it being such an early start, be ready for an early wakeup and allow enough time for parking.
- Hills are a mix of both short and steep, and long with with steep sections mixed in, so be ready for hills the entire way, especially the country road sections where you can see for long stretches at a time.
- Course also tends to get windy on the country road sections, outside of town
- 1st mile is downhill – a lot of people tend to start out fast; try not to get too caught up in going out fast, as the rolling hills start shortly after mile 1
- Last few miles are on a bike path with footbridges, which can cause some crowding and which has several hard turns, which can slow down pace and mess with your rhythm
- Course looks fairly exposed once you leave downtown, so plan for sun being on your face – have a hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc. whatever works for you and the sun
- Country road miles likely fairly lonely since there are not many spectators, but you are at least seeing runners with the out and back portion from miles 7-10. Be prepared for lonely stretches though, since this isn’t the most spectator friendly course.
Type: Mainly a loop with out and back portion from miles 7-10
Start/Finish Info: Approximately the same location, at Madonna Inn/Meadows. See parking information here.
Hills: ~700 feet of gain, biggest gain of ~220 feet from 3.5-5.5, rolling throughout with gains of ~40-80 feet and a net downhill from mile 6 to the finish, with several pop ups in elevation
Locations of water and electrolyte stations: About every 2-3 miles
Electrolyte offered: FLUID Sports Drink, energy gels and Culligan Water