Location: Redmond Watershed Preserve, Redmond, WA
Start Time: 8:30am (marathon), 9:30am (5m, 10m), 9:35am (half marathon)
Avg Temps (f): 57/42
Time Limit: 8 hours (from start of marathon)
Distances Offered: 5m, 10m, Half Marathon, Marathon
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- The hill around mile 5 won’t seem too bad the first time around, but leave enough for the second loop, as it will catch up with you on the second loop
- Though it’s not a technical trail, trail shoes will help with traction, especially on the downhills, where it could be slippery
- Pay attention to course markings, as there are so many races going on and may not use the same course
- Weather could be anything at that time of the year in the PNW, so bring rain gear, but also layers in case the sun comes out and warms it up
- Likely to be muddy if it’s been raining prior to the race
- Second half of the loop is harder than the first half, so it’s easy to go out too hard from the start
- If you can run on the trails beforehand to get used to the terrain and both the gradual and shorter, steeper climbs, then all the better you’ll feel prepared on race day, especially if you’re new to trails.
- Some sections of narrow single track and some sections where it widens out. The staggered start should help with congestion, but know that it will feel more congested during the single track portions and likely the first loop, when all the 5 milers are out on the course as well.
Type: 6.55 mile loop course with two out and back sections, which half runners repeat twice and full marathoners repeat 4 times
Start/Finish Info: Same location, fairly straightforward, parking available
Hills: Generally rolling course with some short, steep hills and longer, more gradual ones, with the biggest hill being around mile 5-5.7, you gain ~150 feet, which on loop two of the half marathon is miles ~11.5-12.2
Number of aid stations: 3 for half marathoners, 7 for marathoners
Locations of aid stations: Miles 3.5, 6.55 (start/finish), and 10 for the half marathoners, and miles 3.5, 6.55, 10, 13.1, 16.6, 19.65, and 23.1
What’s offered: Water, electrolyte drink, and other typical ultra-type aid station fare, like cookies, pieces of energy bar, gels, chews, chips, bagel, fruity candy, fig bars, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and/or bananas.
Access Locations: Start/finish, which is every 6.55 miles
https://teamrunrun.com/redmond-reindeer-romp-half-marathon-race-report-jorge-p/ (different race, same course)