Runner: Matt A
Race Date: 02/15/2020
Location: Winder, GA
Strava Activity Link: https://www.strava.com/activities/3102802307
3 Bests – What aspects of the race did you like the most?
2. Perfect weather
3. Fantastic organization and support
Not so much – Aspects of the race that didn’t do it for you
1. Mountain bike course so many, many tiny hills, never got in a groove
Weird factor – What’s the weirdest thing about this race?
Highlights of your race – What did you do well and enjoy about your race in particular?
1. My race prep was spot on – gear, fuel, clothing, timing.
2. I pushed hard from the outset, which I usually don’t do. Although it made the end hell, it was a good shove out of my comfort zone.
3. I won my age group for the first time ever!
Lessons for others – Share your pro-tips on the race to help the next runner
1. Those tiny mountain bike hills are killer – hard to get in a groove at all.
Lessons you learned that will help you next time around
1. I had a rough time – but that’s what my plan was designed to do. I was asking to hit the wall with my aggressive start and I did. In retrospect, it’s obvious. So now I’ve had a race were I went not quite hard enough and one were I went too hard. Good learning.
2. The next time I go out and run 30 miles, I’m not going to do something ridiculous like tell myself I’m doing a bad job of it!
Most important course specific knowledge to know about the race
The mountain bike terrain.
Aesthetics – Is it a pretty course?
Difficulty – Is it a tough course?
Yes, tougher than mileage and altitude indicate.
Organized and well run – Did it feel like a well-oiled machine or were they flying by the seat of their pants?
Competition – Is there a strong field?
I got first in the 50-54’s but if I’d been in the 55-59’s I would have been 5th! And in the 60-64’s, third!
Logistics – Does it require a special handshake, registration a year in advance, hotels all booked? Give us the low down on the nuts and bolts of making the race happen.
Nope, signed up 3 weeks prior.
Aid Stations – Standard fare or anything special to know about the aid stations in terms of what’s available or when?
Weather and typical race conditions
High 20’s to 40’s, clear.
Gear – Did you need anything special or is there anything you’d recommend for the next runner?
I carried too much water and sport drink – ended with almost a liter of water and 80% of my sport drink – wasted effort to carry all that.
Spectators – Is this a friendly course for your friends?
How’s the Swag?
Sweet handmade mug.
The Overall Score – How many stars do you give this race and do you recommend that others run it?