Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Start Time: 5:30am
Avg Temps (f): 66/57 (Costa Mesa)
Time Limit: 7 hours
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- Not tons of spectators on the course, especially with such an early start, so if you really like crowd support, this may not be your favorite race
- Even with such an early start, it can still get quite warm for the race once the sun comes up
- Speaking of an early start, 5:30 is EARLY, so that means plan on shuttle/parking/drop off in the 4-4:45am range
- Second half is a little more boring scenery compared to the first half, so have mental tricks for getting through the second half, when you’re likely tiring
- Small out and back after mile 15 which has a sharp u-turn, which can feel fairly jarring that late in the race
- While it’s overall a fairly fast, flat race, there are a fair number of turns, some greater than 90 degrees, along the course, which can slow you down and break your rhythm
- Many more runners do the half marathon, so the marathon feels fairly small and gets fairly strung out over the course of the race – be aware of this if you enjoy running with lots of people and/or groups
- Second half of the race also narrows, which isn’t a huge problem since there are so few marathoners compared to half marathoners
Type: Point to Point
Start/Finish Info: Different locations, starting at the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa and finishing at the OC Fair and Event Center. See Parking & Directions
Hills: Net downhill from start to finish.
- The first 6.5 miles is fast with minor inclines.
- Mile 6.5 to 7.0 is the biggest hill on the course from 15 feet to 75 feet.
- Mostly flat through mile 10.5 with a couple rolling hills to mile 11.5.
- A 45 foot incline at mile 14.5 over the 405 overpass
- A 40 foot incline slightly over 1/4 of a mile at mile 23
Locations of water stations: Miles 2.5, 4, 5.5, 6.5, 7.5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.5, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, & 25.
Locations of electrolyte stations: Miles 4, 6.5, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15.5, 18, 20, 22, and 24.
Electrolyte offered: Peak Hydrate
Access Locations: See Parking & Directions