Location: Tacoma, WA
Start Time: 8:30am
Avg Temps (f): 45/36
Time Limit: 3 hours for a closed course; finish line remains open until last finisher
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- Initial miles are around an industrial area, so not the most scenic part of Tacoma, but the latter miles are along the waterfront and much prettier
- Bring different clothing options to the race, as the weather can change from clear to foggy quite quickly
- If you can have warm clothes at the finish, that helps, especially if you parked at least a half mile away near the start
- Fairly flat course but the bridges and any overpasses can feel like big hills, so be prepared for them to feel longer and more difficult than you perceive them to be.
- With the first half being flatter than the second, be sure not to go out too fast, or the rolling hills in the second half will feel much harder
Type: Point to Point, with Start/Finish about .5 miles apart
Start/Finish Info: Different locations – more parking available near the Start vs Finish
Hills: Fairly flat for the first ~5 miles, then course rolls for the remaining miles, with hills ranging from 20-100 feet. Biggest challenges are the bridges, as they can be deceivingly tough and feel longer than they are.
There are 4 water stations with water and Nuun. Located at approximately miles 3, 4.5, 6.5 and 9.5, each aid station will have water, Nuun Electrolyte, Vaseline and porta-potties. Gels will be available at mile 6.5 and 9.5.
Access Locations: Since the course is more of a figure eight and crosses back over bridges, spectators could pick spots to see runners near the Start/Finish area. Or check out where the relay exchanges are and follow the race website directions for getting to them.