WINTER, DARKNESS, AND ALL THE WEATHER – Held near the darkest time of the year in the Pacific Northwest, this should brighten up your mood if you’re in need of a well-supported trail race with fun vibes and friendly faces. The race starts and ends at Reeves Middle School in Olympia, WA, and runs on the rolling trails in Squaxin Park.
The Quick List
- When: 16 December 2023
- Start time: 9am
- Where: Squaxin Park, Olympia, WA (Park at Reeves Middle School, 2200 Quince Street NE, Olympia,WA 98506
- Distance: 10k
- Awesomeness: 5 out of 5
- Motivation to race a winter 10k!
Important to Know
- This is a cupless race, so bring your own flask/collapsible cup, or purchase one at the race.
- The course is open to the public, so be nice to other trail users while you pass them.
- There is no course cut-off! If a walk in the woods is your jam, this race is perfect for you.
- Packet pickup is race morning, so set that alarm, but with a reasonable start of 9am, you won’t have to set it too early.
- Wear trail shoes with good traction given it’s the wet season in the PNW, with wet bridges and we leaves on the ground covering roots and other ankle twisters!
- Bring warm clothes to change into afterwards given it’s likely to be wet. Restrooms are available for the day of the race at Reeves gym
- Parking is at Reeves Middle School. Please do not park at Squaxin Park!
- Address: 2200 Quince Street NE, Olympia,WA 98506
- Type: The pay-attention-to-course-markings kind of course
- Start/Finish Info: Same location, Reeves Middle School track
- Hills: Rollers throughout of 30-100 feet gain/loss at a time.
- 659 feet of elevation gain in 6.4 miles
- Course Map, Elevation Profile and GPX Route in Strava Race Group.
- Leave some gas in the tank for the final 100 ft climb back up to the finish!
- Fully stocked aid station at the finish line
- Water, Tailwind, soda, fruit, chips, pickles and a few other treats.
- Warm beverages to…well…warm up!
The best location is the start/finish, but since the trails are open to the public, spectators are allowed to be in the park as well.
Club Event Page on Strava