Runner: Candice C
Race Date: 11/25/2018
Location: Seattle, WA
3 Bests – What aspects of the race did you like the most?
- Large and well supported/organized, from the expo (perfect excuse to visit Downtown after Thanksgiving) to the recovery area (I liked the hot chicken broth with rice)
- It’s a nice Seattle race in the winter when there aren’t that many
- Get to run through the City
Highlights of your race – What did you do well and enjoy about your race in particular?
- For the most part, I just let go and didn’t check my Garmin all the time.
- There was a segment where I was actually able to pass people 😉
- Spot on 10:00/min average pace
Lessons for others – Share your pro-tips on the race to help the next runner
- Study and think about the hills in advance
- Given the high # of runners, it can be inconvenient to use the aid stations for liquids
- If you’re more serious about hitting a fast time, be aware that traffic incidents (there was an intersection at Mercer where the cops actually let a bus through, while runners had to stop) can occur. In Fremont, the cops pushed people aside with sirens to let what I’m guessing a marathon winner to get by.
Lessons you learned that will help you next time around
- Even if you don’t take a race super seriously, be sure you are properly hydrated during the days leading up to it
Most important course specific knowledge to know about the race
- The hills can be a killer!
Aesthetics – Is it a pretty course?
- It is scenic if you like cityscapes
Difficulty – Is it a tough course?
- It’s a fair course, on the whole pretty comparable to the Seattle Rock n Roll Half Marathon
Organized and well run – Did it feel like a well-oiled machine or were they flying by the seat of their pants?
- Very well run
Competition – Is there a strong field?
- I wouldn’t know…
Logistics – Does it require a special handshake, registration a year in advance, hotels all booked? Give us the low down on the nuts and bolts of making the race happen.
- Easy logistics. Entrance fee is steep but you’d expect that for something like this.
Aid Stations – Standard fare or anything special to know about the aid stations in terms of what’s available or when?
- See “lessons for others above.” If I could do it again, I’d bring a small water bottle which might have helped me. I was lazy and didn’t consume my GU – I wonder if I had whether I’d done better.
Weather and typical race conditions
- Perfect day. No rain or wind.
Spectators – Is this a friendly course for your friends?
- Seemed friendly
How’s the Swag?
- The technical tee is nice, the finishers medal could use some graphic design if that’s something one cares about 😉
The Overall Score – How many stars do you give this race and do you recommend that others run it?
- It all depends on what you like/are looking for. I personally thought this was 9 stars out of 10.