Race: Needles 50k
Location: Easton, WA
Results – 7:50:38, 2nd female and 8th overall
3 Bests – what aspects of the race did you like the most
1. The whole atmosphere of the race. Small, friendly, relaxed.
2. The final 2/3rds of the course – it seemed so easy relative to the first climb!
3. The final downhill stretch was really fun & runnable.
Not so much – aspects of the race that didn’t do it for you
Nothing. It was a great event.
Weird factor – what’s the weirdest thing about this race
How hard the downhills are! I was expecting the hard ups, but not how steep and technical the downhills would be.
All the colored rocks we had to find.
- Camping was great before the race – would highly recommend it (was my first time camping before a race).
- The first climb is a monster, and be prepared for some steep downhills!
- Make sure to fill up water at the first aid station – it’s a long, long ways until the next one.
- I had the track loaded on my phone which helped a lot with reassuring myself I was on the right trail, since it was not heavily marked. I took one wrong turn, and was quickly able to figure out where I should be instead.
Most important course specific knowledge to know about the race
- 10,000 feet of elevation gain, which also means 10,000 of elevation loss.
- The second half of the course has many creek crossings, which might be difficult if you don’t like wet feet.
- The aid stations really are quite minimal (as advertised), and I wouldn’t plan on looking forward to anything specific at them – everything is just a bonus.
- They say to predict your time as close to a moderate 50 mile race. It’s probably a bit faster than that, but something to consider when choosing regular vs early start time.
Aesthetics – is it a pretty course