Location: San Francisco, CA
Start Time: 6:15am
Avg Temps (f): 63/49
Time Limit: 4 hours, 45 minutes
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- Keep in mind, the course changed as of 2018, with taking runners over/back the Golden Gate Bridge and having less elevation gain than previous years
- Some steep, hilly sections can be challenging, so train for hills!
- Some non-technical trail sections (when you switch to the other side of the GG Bridge and a long stretch towards Fort Mason).
- There is a hill about 1 km to the finish but the last 100 meters is a steep downhill with the finish line just around the corner.
- Could be chilly at the start, especially with such an early start tie, but if the sun comes out, it warms up quickly once you’re in more exposed sections of the course
- Parking can be hard near the start/finish, so easier to use rideshares or public transportation. Also helpful to have a hotel near the start/finish
- If you’re looking for great bands and course entertainment along the way, this probably isn’t the best race, as it’s known more for the scenery of running on the Golden Gate Bridge and the hills. Not a PR course!
- Be prepared for the Golden Gate Bridge to feel like long stretches both ways, and slightly uphill
Type: Mainly out and back with start/finish at different locations
Start/Finish Info: Start at The Embarcadero at PIER 39, Finish at Beach St. next to Ghirardelli Square
Hills: Fair amount of elevation change between miles 3.4 and 11.2 with gains/losses of ~100-250 feet
Locations of water stations: About every 1.5 miles
Locations of electrolyte stations: Gatorade offered at every other aid station, Science in Sport gels available once along the course around mile 6.5
Access Locations: Start/finish likely the best locations since it’s mainly an out and back and runners go over the Golden Gate bridge. Best locations are in the Marina district before they go over the bridge.