Location: San Diego, CA (Petco Park)
Start Time: 7:30am
Avg Temps (f): 65/53
Time Limit: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- Just before the “big hill” at mile ~8, there are two smaller hills, which tend to surprise people
- At the top of the hill, it doesn’t start going down right away. It flattens out for a bit, then starts the descent, so be ready for that adjustment and don’t expect an immediate relief with a downhill
- Use the downhill to get some speed back, especially since it’s the last miles of the race
- A mixed bag of weather in past years, so be prepared for sun, heat, rain, and humidity
- The race tends to be on the weekend of Daylight Savings Time – pay attention to that and know you’ll already get an hour less of sleep because of it!
- Typically not a lot of spectators or race entertainment on the course, so many parts can feel very quiet
- While the hill is a big one, the beginning is so flat and the final miles are such a good downhill, that it’s still possible to run a fairly fast time.
Type: Loop with Start/Finish very close to each other
Start/Finish Info: Start just outside of Petco Park and finish inside the baseball stadium
Hills: One gradual hill gain of ~300 feet from miles ~8-10.5
Locations of water/electrolyte stations: About every 1-1.5 miles
Electrolyte offered: Ultima Replenisher, Cherry Pomegranate
Access Locations: Likely best from miles 6-13, as miles 1-2 are around Downtown with street closures likely, and miles 2-5 are along the waterfront, passing by the San Diego Airport. See the Course Map for more info.