Race: Indy Mini-Marathon (HM) – http://www.indymini.com/
Runner: Emily M
Results – 2:19:32
3 Bests – what aspects of the race did you like the most
- The race was extremely organized, especially for that many people!
- The crowds were amazing! There were so many local bands, cheerleaders, and spectators which kept the energy high
- Getting to run the racetrack and “kiss the bricks” was something I’ll never forget!
Not so much – aspects of the race that didn’t do it for you
- There were so many runners! I was in Corral 3 so there were a lot of people that would randomly stop and walk but didn’t get to the side, so I was dodging and had trouble keeping pace
- The weather was warmer then I prefer (which you can’t really control of course!).
- Running the racetrack was great but I almost got injured (my heel got stepped on) because it was so narrow and runners were stopping to take pictures…I totally understand wanting to capture the moment, and I’ve done it before, but there was a lack of running etiquette in my opinion.
Weird factor – what’s the weirdest thing about this race
I really didn’t think there was anything weird about this race!
Highlights of your race – what did you do well and enjoy about your race in particular
I got to see Meb! I never knew who he was until Matt had me watch his drill videos! Basically, he was the last person to start and they had a contest to see how many people he could pass. I saw him and his crew around 9.5 miles and it gave me that extra boost to keep going!
Lessons for others – share your pro-tips on the race to help the next runner
- Be prepared for any type of weather. During the race it went from warm and sunny to overcast and rainy, all within a few hours!
- Be prepared for a lot of people and get there early enough.
- Parking didn’t seem too bad if you parked a few blocks away and just walked to the start.
- It is not a very “spectator friendly” course in the sense of people seeing you in several different spots
Aesthetics – is it a pretty course
I wouldn’t say it was necessarily pretty, but it was filled with wonderful spectators throughout the entire course. Running the racetrack and being on the “big screen” was pretty cool too! My mom actually got to see me “kiss the bricks” from the finish line!
Difficulty – is it a tough course
The actual course was about as flat as they come!!
Organized and well run – did it feel like a well-oiled machine or were they flying by the seat of their pants?
This was the most organized race I’ve ever run! Tons of water stops, medics, and port-a-potties. The finish line was awesome too and the corrals were well organized at the starting line.
Competition – is there a strong field?
I’m not a very fast runner but I’m guessing the competition was pretty good with so many runners attending.
Logistics – Does it require a special handshake, registration a year in advance, hotels all booked? Give us the low down on the nuts and bolts of making the race happen
I registered 5 mths in advance but it was pretty easy and no lottery. I stayed downtown with a friend and my parents booked a hotel about 20 minutes away. They met us downtown and we walked to the start…pretty easy overall! I’d imagine if you wanted to get a hotel downtown you might have to book a little earlier, though. I can honestly say this was the least stressed I’ve ever felt at a race before.
More then I’ve ever seen before!
Weather and typical race conditions –
Started in the high 50’s and ended in the low 70’s. It was a little warm for my taste but could’ve been worse. The rain started when I was at mile 12 but it was refreshing and didn’t last long.
Gear – did you need anything special or is there anything you’d recommend for the next guy?
Normal gear is good :). I had my own water belt to try and avoid some of the water stops since there were so many people
Spectators – is this a friendly course for your friends
As I mentioned above, unless you are running to certain spots, it’s not very spectator friendly
I got a medal…not sure what the top finishers received
The Overall Score – how many stars do you give this race and do you recommend that others run it
Overall I give it 4 stars. Highly recommend for the bucket list, but I’m not sure if I’d do it again.