Location: Pocatello, ID
Start Time: 6:15am
Avg Temps (f): 83/47
Time Limit: 6.5 hours
Lessons Learned from Race Reports
- Runners must ride the bus to the start – no personal vehicles at the start. Be sure you know the shuttle information.
- Small out and back around mile 7-8; otherwise, minimal turns along the course, which can be faster but also hard mentally on a rural course
- With the first half losing so much of the elevation, be sure not to go out too fast so you don’t burn out and have less loss in the second half of the course. Have patience and it will pay off later!
- Some of the downhill in the first half can feel steep – do downhill training if possible and know that your quads will have extra work in the first half
- Small field of runners, so be prepared to be running alone
- First half of the course is much more scenic than the second half, so be prepared for that mentally
- Much of the course is open to traffic, so stay aware of cars on the road, and know that traffic noise and exhaust can be tiring
- Course is very exposed and likely to be sunny – bring a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen and have a plan for cooling off with water/ice at the aid stations
- Even with the early start, it gets warm and sunny throughout the race
- Course isn’t every spectator friendly since it’s rural and out on country roads, so be prepared for quiet miles along the way!
Type: Point to Point
Start/Finish Info: Different locations; shuttle to start
Hills: Net downhill course with small pop ups around miles 6.5, 16.5, and 21.5. Out of the ~1,550 feet of loss, the first half drops approximately 1,400 feet, and then the second half only drops about 150 feet.
Locations of water/electrolyte stations: Miles 3.3, 5.3, 8, 10.4, 12.7, 14.4, 16.2, 18.6, 19.7, 20.7, 21.7, 22.7, 23.6, 24.6, and 25.3.
Electrolyte offered: PowerAde and Clif Shot energy gel available at miles 12.7, 20.7, and 22.7. Bananas and oranges at miles 5.3, 16.2, 19.7, 22.7, and 24.6. Assorted wrapped hard candy at miles 8, 14.4, 18.6, and 21.7.
Access Locations: Minimal